CONSCIOUS VS. UNCONSCIOUS PROCESSING
Part I: Introducing Psychology’s Major Questions and Debates
- Choose one of the major questions of psychology discussed in the first chapter of your textbook:
- Nature vs. nurture
- Free will vs. determinism
- Accuracy vs. inaccuracy
- Conscious vs. unconscious processing
- Differences vs. similarities
- Briefly summarize in 6-9 sentences the major question that you selected ANDprovide evidence from your own experiences that support one side or the other.
* Adapted from Introduction to Psychology textbook
Part II: Research Methods-Application
- Think about a human behavior that you find interesting. Briefly describe it in 2-3 sentences.
- List potential explanations or causes of the behavior that you described in Part A?
- Imagine you are a psychologist. How should this behavior be studied? In other words describe is it best to use a Descriptive, Correlational or Experimental methodology? Why?
- What is one possible hypothesis that you would test?
- What steps would you take to make sure the study is ethical?
*Adapted from Introduction to Psychology Chapter 2 Instructor’s Resources
This Discussion Activity is worth 10 total points and should take you between 1-2 hours to complete.