Evidence-based systematic literature review and analysis is conducted to respond to a patient problem that requires a solution. Such a review of the literature includes a focused, systematic review from library databases to gather the most current research literature. In this exercise, you are asked to review literature relevant to the US Heath care system. (Note: You will have made progress in gathering literature for the paper later in the course). The most common way to display literature is with an evidence-based literature table. The table is analyzed to provide recommendations for guidelines and standard of care for the patient problem. Thus, you can contribute to your agency with improved patient care procedures and policy that ultimately can inform quality of care. An important initial step to effectively and efficiently search the literature is to formulate a PICOT Question. The kind of PICOT question selected is based upon what kind of patient care problem/issue you wish to resolve.
Address “Diabetes type 2 Management for Adult patients” and write a 1page APA format with references in-text citation APA format including the below info
; the following sections in the posting: (a) brief nursing situation, (b) the kind of PICOT question, and (c) the actual PICOT question.
- Post to the discussion area a brief nursing situation, the kind of PICOT question, and the actual PICOT question using the steps as follows:
- Step 1-Identify a nursing situation using 3rd person. No use of I statements as this is not a personal reflection of nursing care. As used here, the nursing situation specifies the problem you are attempting to resolve. Here is an example: Example Only: Mr. Jones, a 40 year-old experienced abdominal pain that transverses his abdomen. He was returning to the ER for the third time during the month with bloating and moderate pain. He has a no history of previous GI problems.The staff identifies his return as typical of a frequent flyer, though Mr. Jones states that he does not use illegal substances nor does he like to use the ER. Upon further history, Mr. Jones says he eats sushi at least three times a week.
- Step 2-Specify the kind of PICOT Question (1-2 statements). The kind of question specifies the purpose for the review of evidence. Kinds include the following categories: intervention or therapy,etiology, diagnosis or diagnostic test, prognosis or prediction, meaning (Seethe Stillwell, Fineout-Overholt, Melnyk, & Williamson , 2010 article. View the Templates and Definitions for PICOT Questions Table, p. 60). Here is an example:Intervention or therapy is indicated that recognizes the background question o f what is the best method for accurate GI assessment and diagnosis in nonspecific GI distress.
- Step 3-Finally, specify the PICOT Question in the correct format using the template in the 3rd column of the Templates and Definitions for PICOT Questions table. (See the Stillwell, Fineout-Overholt, Melnyk, & Williamson , 2010 article. See the Templates and Definitions for PICOT Questions Table, p. 60). Think of the PICOT as the foreground question. Not all PICOT questions include time and time is included to show the end of the project measurement. Here is an example:In adults with nonspecific GI distress (P), how does a GI pain assessment team (I) compared with usual assessment (C) affect ER recidivism (O)during a 3-month period (T).
- Follow the directions in the discussion area. All students are required to complete an initial post and respond to one other student’s posting. The focus of the PICOT discussion is to assess the content of the PICOT question (meets template format) and whether it fits the nursing situation. In addition, other helpful comments include providing key words, a reference, or information about guidelines/and standards of practice.