Week 1 – Assignment
Medical Clearance Worksheet
Prior to completing the Medical Clearance Worksheet, review Chapter 2 in the text. Any person wanting to participate in an exercise program should be screened for potential cardiovascular complications that may arise during exercise. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) preparticipation screening algorithm can be used to determine if a person needs medical clearance prior to starting an exercise program. The ACSM algorithm can be viewed in Figure 2.2 of the text. For this assignment, fill out the worksheet on the following:
- Compare and contrast the function of the human body in someone who has heart disease to someone who does not have heart disease. (Consider what happens within the cardiovascular system when someone has coronary artery disease. Why can this put a person at risk when exercising?)
- Explain four of the signs and symptoms suggestive of cardiovascular, metabolic, and renal disease.
- Read each case study on the worksheet and assess the need for medical clearance.
- Submit the Medical Clearance Worksheet to your instructor by Day 7.
The Medical Clearance Worksheet assignment:
- Must use the Medical Clearance Worksheet Template.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use the course text as a reference.
- Must document all sources in APA style.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.