How do we recognize and quantify aging?
Please cite your sources as necessary. Citations should be internal, appearing in parentheses immediately after the appropriate sentence. Do not include a bibliography. Only work which you actually cite, needs to be listed. In other words, I do not need to see references, it is assumed that the class materials are referenced.
This exam will be graded using the SLA Multi Essay Rubric [226.6 KB PDF file].
The grade will be based on:
1. Completion. Complete responses to all three (3) questions. Each response should be 250-300 words. If the questions are not completely answered, deduction will be based upon the per cent of work completed.
2. Errors in spelling /grammar may contribute to a deduction of up to 30%., for example if the writing is such that the meaning of the sentences is obscured.
3. Facts are correct and ideas are supported with references or supported rationale. Excessive use of unsupported information will result in up to a 30% deduction.
4. The essays are clearly are informed by the textbook and the terminology and complexity represent that of the textbook. Papers that are not demonstrating the students ability to read and comprehend the assigned chapters in the textbook, will result in up to a 30% deduction.
5. Before you submit this assignment to the dropbox below, be sure to upload a copy to the “Final” dropbox for this assignment on Turnitin.com. A “Draft” dropbox is also available so that you can use the originality report provided as a learning tool to improve your work prior to final submission.
According to the textbook, what are the specific characteristics of aging? For example, one characteristic to include is animal life cycle stage in which aging occurs. Make sure to include at least one molecular characteristic.
How do we recognize and quantify aging? Use examples to demonstrate individual characteristics of aging. For one characteristic, explain any research and the research question (you may use outside sources for this part of the question, but they are not required).
Consider one scientist (from Aristotle to the present) who has advanced our understanding of sex determination. Summarized his/her work, evidence, importance. What is one application of this biologist’s work? What, if any, aspects of the work are no longer considered valid and why?
Argue that cancer is a disease of development. Cite the textbook. Make sure to include the theoretical relationship between cancer and stem cells.