Assignment 3: Exploring Your Culture
Part of successfully exploring other cultures is having a solid foundation in the tenets of oneâ€™s culture. This assignment will have you evaluate key components of your culture. When you begin exploring the main foundation of other cultures, you will be able to identify similarities or dissimilarities to your own. This is also a good self-ethnographic activity.
Develop a presentation on the cultural identity with which you align yourself. Consider the following:
- Describe the culture you identify with.
- Explain the major components of your culture.
- Explain the various symbols associated with your culture including their meanings.
- Describe the other cultures you are integrated with besides your own. What are the similarities and differences between these cultures with which you are connected?
- Evaluate the roles that race, class, age, and gender play in your culture.
Support your statements with examples and scholarly references.
You may use images and other media to present your perspective. Use the speakersâ€™ notes to explain your statements in further detail.
Develop a 10-slide presentation in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M1_A3.ppt. For example, if your name is John Smith, your document will be named SmithJ_M1_A3.ppt.
By Wednesday, May 13, 2015, deliver your assignment to the M1: Assignment 3 Dropbox.
|Assignment 3 Grading Criteria||
|Examined your culture, providing a detailed analysis of its main components and symbols.||
Compared your culture with other cultures you are integrated with to identify the similarities and differences.
|Assessed the roles of race, class, age, and gender in your culture.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||