· Why is it important to understand what determines one’s sexual orientation?
M4 ASSIGNMENT 1 DISCUSSION
DISCUSSION: DOES IT MATTER?
This week, you learned about various theories surrounding the determination of one’s sexual orientation. In addition, you learned about some of the limitations and criticisms of the research.
· Explain briefly (in 1-2 paragraphs) your understanding of the research on origins of sexual orientation.
· Why is it important to understand what determines one’s sexual orientation? Consider ethical, legal, and social implications. If you do not think it is important to understand the origins, please explain.
· Based on what you have learned in your readings within the class and your textbook, make a hypothesis as to where you think the research might lead.
Write your initial response to each part in 3–4 paragraphs. Support your arguments with research, applying APA standards to citation of sources.
M4 ASSIGNMENT 2 SUBMISSION
ASSIGNMENT 2: SEXUAL DISCONNECT
Imagine that you are working as a counselor in an elementary school. A teacher has come to you, concerned that a student in her class might have been sexually abused. She explains that she became concerned when two of her 5-year old male students did not come out of the restroom after she called to them several times from the door. When she went in to check on them, she saw the boys facing each other, with Kyle’s pants around his ankles. Brandon was touching Kyle’s penis and both boys were laughing. In addition to her concern about abuse, the teacher is wondering if the boys could be gay.
· As the counselor, explain to the boys’ teacher whether their behavior is indicative of sexual abuse. Remember to reflect on the research you have learned about, and give details to demonstrate why you might come to that conclusion.
· How would you respond to the teacher’s question about the boys’ sexual orientation, based on research?What recommendations should you, as the counselor, give to the teacher? Keep in mind research pertaining to the promotion of healthy sexual development by parents and schools.Your response should be at least 3 pages long, not counting the cover page and reference page.